Mecadox® and Banminth® not affected by upcoming FDA Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) requirements
The Phibro Animal Health Corporation products, Mecadox and Banminth, do not, when used as the sole medication in feed, fall under the VFD (Veterinary Feed Directive) requirements.
Mecadox (Carbadox) is only used in animal agriculture; there is no human use for this product, therefore a VFD is not required. The same is true of Banminth (Pyrantel tartrate). Banminth is an anthelminthic (dewormer) and is not included among those products considered by the FDA (Food & Drug Administration) to be of human importance. Therefore these two products do not require a VFD for use, when used as the sole medication in feed.
A number of additional animal health products delivered through the feed began requiring VFD documentation effective January 1st, 2017. You can find out more information on VFD documentation requirements for Producers, Veterinarians and Feed Manufacturers at the following locations:
FEED MANUFACTURERS: Who do manufacture VFD Feeds: www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/ucm455414.htm
Who do not manufacture VFD Feeds: www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/ucm455415.htm
Both Mecadox and Banminth carry therapeutic claims on their FDA approved labels. In addition to the therapeutic levels of Mecadox, all currently labeled rates and usages of Mecadox will remain.
- Mecadox (2.5 and 10 grams/lb) is FDA-approved – with a 42-day withdrawal period at 50 grams per ton of complete feed in nursery and grower rations for:
- Increased rate of weight gain and improved feed efficiency
- Control of enteric bacteria Salmonella cholerasuis and swine dysentery
- Banminth (4.8 and 48 grams/lb) is FDA-approved – with a 1-day withdrawal at 96 grams and 800 grams per ton of complete feed for swine:
- Removal and control of large roundworm infections (ascarids – 96 and 800 gram/ton)
- Removal and control of nodular worms (800 gram/ton)
The final VFD regulations became effective on January 1, 2017. If you need additional information on the benefits of any PAHC product and as you evaluate your future swine diet options, please contact your sales or technical service representative.
Certain products and formulations displayed on this site may not be approved for use in all countries. Please check with your local Phibro representative for use restrictions and product safety and/or warning information required in your area.